Corporate Wellness & Functional Medicine
Corporate Wellness & Functional Medicine
How Nutrition Therapy Can Stop Work-Related Stress and Illness Hurting Your Employees’ Health and Productivity
On average, every person will spend almost a third of their life at work. That comes at a cost to their health and wellbeing. With work-related stress and illness on the rise, how will you ensure that your employees stay healthy and productive?
- According to the latest estimates from the Labour Force Survey (LFS), there were 602,000 cases of work-related stress, depression, or anxiety in 2018/19, a prevalence rate of 1,800 per 100,000 workers.
- 8 million working days were lost due to this condition in 2018/19. This equated to an average of 21.2 days lost per case.
- Stress, depression or anxiety accounted for 44% of all work-related ill health cases and 54% of all working days lost due to ill health in 2018/2019.
- 2 in 5 employees (39%) have experienced poor mental health due to work in 2019. This is an increase from 36% in both 2017 and 2018.
As work-related illness and mental health concerns increase, employee performance and productivity declines.
Businesses bear the impact of both lost work and wages.
- Vitality’s annual Britain’s Healthiest Workplace study suggests that ill-health related absence and presenteeism cost British businesses and the economy an estimated £91.9bn in 2019. That’s a £10bn increase from 2018.
- Almost three-quarters of the £91.9bn (£68 billion) productivity loss is due to poor mental wellbeing and unhealthy lifestyle choices.
- The study also showed a rise in presenteeism due to mental and physical health concerns. Almost half (45%) of UK workers admitted to suffering from presenteeism in 2019, up almost a third from 2014 (29%).
Mental health problems are on the rise in Coventry and Warwickshire. 57% of Coventry respondents say they feel stressed at work. Statistics from the NHS show that GPs in the area issued “fit notes” for a total of 27,648 episodes of a “mental and behavioural disorder” during 2019. That’s one every 20 minutes.
A Corporate Wellness Program Including Nutrition Therapy Makes Your Employees Healthier, Happier, and More Productive
People are your most valuable asset. As their employer, you can provide the tools to support their mental and physical wellbeing. One significant factor in the decline in general health and wellness for employees is an unhealthy diet. Business in the Community statistics reported that poor eating habits in the UK cost employers around £17 billion a year or 97 million lost working days. A company with 1,000 staff could be losing £126,000 a year in productivity due to obesity-related problems alone!
However, providing a better employee experience through corporate wellness programs brings a positive return on investment (ROI). A review of academic studies shows that the return on investment for some workplace health initiatives can range from £2 for every £1 spent (1:2) to £34 for every £1 spent (1:34).
UK case study examples of corporate wellness programs found that:
- Reduced sickness absence was evident in 82% of programs. This reduced overtime payments, temporary recruitment and permanent staff payroll;
- Reduced staff turnover was evident in 33% of programs, reducing recruitment costs;
- Reduced accidents and injuries were evident in 29% of programs. This reduced legal costs/claims, reduced insurance premiums and reduced healthcare costs;
- Increased employee satisfaction was evident in 25% of programs. This improved staff retention and reduced recruitment costs;
- Around 16% of programs reduced resource allocation, reducing management time;
- Increased company profile was reported by 15% of programs, reducing recruitment costs;
- Increased productivity was reported in 15% of programs. This increased revenues, reduced overtime payments and reduced permanent staff payroll;
- Increased health and welfare were evident in 15% of programs, reducing healthcare costs.
Nutrition Therapy Services We Provide:
Building a corporate wellness solution from scratch can be challenging and complex. But don’t worry! Our team of wellness professionals will do all the hard work for you. We have experience working with a wide range of different businesses. That means we can build you a bespoke nutritional services package to meet your employees’ needs. Our typical package for corporate customers includes:
- 1-on-1 consultations to identify and address individual risk factors
- Interactive group workshops where employees can engage in one another’s wellbeing
- Engaging educational talks and seminars
- Informational discussions to promote the benefits of a nutritional lifestyle
- Customized health and wellness improvement plans
- Physical and psychological stress reduction
- Emotional support and encouragement
- Other various nutritional services
If you aren’t seeing exactly what you are looking for, please contact us for a customized wellness plan. Jo and her team of experts will be happy to build a plan to address your business’s specific wellness concerns.
How is Embracing Nutrition’s Program Different?
Through extensive research and testing, Jo has developed a results-oriented program, designed with your success in mind. The program offers several key features which set it apart from other wellness programs:
Our program is dynamic
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for employee wellbeing. Every person is unique in both physiology and psychology. So a successful program must adapt to target the exact nutritional needs of each individual. We’ll create a plan to meet those needs.
Our program is collaborative
We involve management teams to encourage employees and help them achieve their goals. Active management participation develops strong, supportive relationships between managers and employees. Increased commitment from managers also heightens employee engagement.
Our program is simple
We don’t use complicated systems or processes. Our team of experts has spent years learning about nutrition and wellness so that you don’t have to! We make it easy for employees to follow the program. We continually monitor employee progress and adjust along the way to ensure the best results.
Act NOW to improve your employees’ health and happiness
Many common work-related health and stress issues are reversible if you make positive changes early. The sooner you put in place a wellness program for your workforce, the greater the chances of making a lasting and comprehensive impact on their wellbeing.
We are here for you. Together we will build a program for your business that will:
- Improve employee engagement
- Attract new talent and increase staff retention
- Reduce sickness absence and presenteeism
- Improve performance and productivity
- Increase creativity, efficiency and innovation
- Strengthen team morale, relationships and communication