Print this Recipe
Share this recipe
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce - Take out any veggies you are unable to tolerate
- 2 Carrots
- 1 stick Celery
- 1 large Onion
- ½ Red pepper
- 1 small Leek top and tailed
- Handful of mushrooms of any variety
- ½ a Courgette
- 1/3 aubergine
- Seaweed flakes (if you have some, just adds to flavour and nutrients)
- 3 cubes of garlic
- Chunk of grated Ginger
- Small thumb of grated turmeric
- Herbs: e.g. bay leaf, rosemary, basil, thyme
- Veggie stock cube in boiling water – use enough water to make a fluid height (with the tinned tomato) to just under the level of the vegetables (if you are not vegan/veggie, you can use chicken bone broth for extra goodness)
- 1 ‘Mr organics’ tinned tomatoes
- Approx. 2-3 tablespoons of red lentils to thicken the sauce
- 1 Tbs of tomato paste (Mr organics)
Slow Cook Veggie Sauce Method
- Chop all the vegetables as finely as you can, grate the ginger, turmeric and crush the garlic, place in the slow cooker
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and herbs and stir.
- Check the level of liquid is at least ½ covering the vegetables. The veggies will release some water you don’t want to drown them in liquid initially, but you can add some as it cooks if it looks too dry. If the sauce is too runny it doesn’t hold together as well, so add more as you go if needed.
- Leave to bubble all day or at least a few hours, stirring when needing to reduce any lentils sticking. If you don’t have a slow cooker place in a large deep pan with lid on and keep an eye on it, stirring when needed or topping up with more fluid if needed.
Vegan Cashew ‘cheese’ Sauce ingredients
You need to start this prep at the same time as the slow cooker.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cup filtered water (1 to soak, and 1 to use in recipe)
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or half lemon squeezed
- 1 tbs of vegan B12 Yeast flakes
Vegan Cashew ‘cheese’ Sauce Method
- Soak the cashews in filtered water for the day in a glass jug or large jam jar.
- Throw away this water and rinse the cashews
- When ready to make up the lasagne – Blend all the ‘cheese sauce’ ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until creamy and smooth.
- 30-40 minutes before dinner time start to prepare the lasagne
- Options for lasagne slices butter nut squash thinly length ways, and also slice courgette length ways.
- Alternative to veg sheets – lentil or chickpea lasagne sheets are naturally gluten free and hold together better than slices of vegetables
- Use a glass lasagne dish and alternate the veggie stew with the butter squash sliced sheets or red/yellow lentil pasta sheets and vegan cheese layers between.
- Make sure your finish with a layer of cheese sauce and sprinkle some vegan parmesan cheese on top if you have some
- Oven cook on the bottom shelf for 30 mins or until lentil sheets are cooked
- If you can place a shape knife through the lasagne sheets with only small bit of resistance, then it will be cooked
- Serve and enjoy, guilt free!