The Organic Acids Test provides a comprehensive metabolic snapshot of your overall health. It includes over 70 different analytes which provide information about:
- Energy production
- Neurotransmitter balance, which affects mood and motivation
- Amino acid balance
- Vitamin requirements
- Detoxification ability
- Microbial imbalances, such as yeast or bacterial overgrowth
The test uses a urine sample to measure the levels of compounds called organic acids. Organic acids are chemicals that are produced during the body’s day-to-day metabolism. Some of these are made directly by the body’s cells as they create energy and break things down. A number of organic acids directly or indirectly indicate deficiencies of critical vitamins. Other types of organic acids are produced by bacteria or yeast living in the body. One of the most important uses of the organic acids test is as an indicator of dysbiosis, an abnormal overgrowth of yeast and bacteria in the intestinal tract. Some of these bacterial organic acids get absorbed into the bloodstream and can interfere with the metabolism of neurotransmitters such as dopamine. This can affect mood and behaviour. Organic acids are analysed in urine because they are excreted through the kidneys.
This test is recommended to those who:
- Want a comprehensive overview of their health or an initial screen to determine which areas of their health need the most support.
- Suffer from chronic fatigue.
- Have a mood or neurological disorder.
- Suffer from autoimmune disease or have poor immunity.
If abnormalities are detected using the organic acids test, a targeted diet and supplement plan can be created to correct any microbial imbalance and restore healthy cellular metabolism.